I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bermuda Salad

Today, the temperature is over 90, high humidity and we have no air conditioning. So dinner had to be something light, and uncooked, because it is way too hot to be eating something heavy. This was really flavorful and filling (we had 2 hard-boiled eggs each). We served it with some crusty French bread smothered in Romano cheese.

Ingredients
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 pound bacon (I used Bacon Bits instead of real bacon)
  • 1 pound spinach, rinsed and chopped
  • 1-1/2 ounces croutons
  • 2 tablespoons sliced fresh mushrooms (I used peppers and scallions instead)
Dressing
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1/3 cup white sugar (I used about 1/4 cup sugar and it was fine)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons cider vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
Directions

1. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover completely with cold water. Bring water to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, and cool. Once cool, peel and chop.

2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.


3. Prepare the dressing in a blender by combining the onion, sugar, salt, oil, vinegar, pepper, celery seed and Dijon mustard. Blend until smooth.


4. In a large salad bowl, combine the eggs, bacon, spinach, croutons and mushrooms. Toss to mix. Pour enough dressing over salad to lightly coat. Toss and serve.

No comments: