I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Dad's Famous Flank Steak

This is definitely a family favorite. So much so, that even now, when we go back to Maryland, the first meal we request is Dad's famous flank steak. You really need a non-non-stick pan to make this work, as a non-stick pan won't sear the meat nearly as well.

Ingredients
  • 1 flank steak, pounded thin
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • Soy sauce
  • Lawry salt
  • Garlic powder
  • Paprika
  • 2 T butter
Directions

1. Pound flank steak so it's an even thickness all around. Pour about 1 T soy sauce on the flank steak and massage it in with your fingertips. Sprinkle liberally with Lawry salt, garlic powder and paprika. Flip over and repeat same seasonings on other side. Refrigerate overnight or for several hours.

2. In large skillet over medium high heat, melt 1 T butter. Add onions and fry until almost done, but not quite. Remove onions from skillet.

3. Return pan to medium-high heat and melt another 1 T butter. Add flank steak and sear (without moving the meat) for 2-3 minutes. Flip and sear other side for 2 minutes. Add onions back into pan, turn heat to medium low and simmer about 2 minutes per side until desired doneness.

Serve with mom's famous bashed (these are baked AND mashed) potatoes. I didn't have the right dish to make these, so I made steamed broccoli instead.


1 comment:

Deborah said...

Mmm, nothing beats a good steak! The onions on top look yummy too! :)