I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

German Pretzels

Justin is a pretzel fanatic, so we're always trying new recipes to find a perfect one. We have a great bagged mix that we like but this recipe is from scratch. Instead of making pretzels, we made them into pretzel rolls for sandwiches this week. If you don't plan on eating all the pretzels in one sitting, don't bake them with salt. Otherwise the salt will melt and make the bread soggy.

This is probably the best pretzels recipe we've tried yet (at least, the best scratch recipe). I know the recipe came from the internet, but Justin found it, printed it and never told me where.

Ingredients
  • 17 2/3 ounces plain flour (about 3.5 cups)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3/8 ounce yeast
  • 3 Tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter (soft)
  • 2/3 cup milk, mixed with 2/3 cup water
  • 4 1/4 cups water
  • 1 tablespoons salt
  • 3 ounces baking soda
  • coarse salt, extra
Directions

1. Mix the first 6 ingredients together and knead to a soft dough, about 10 minutes.

2. Then let it rest in an oiled bowl, covered, until the dough has doubled in size (about 1 hour).


3. Form into 14 bread rolls/pretzels/croissants. Place on baking paper well spaced, and allow to rise again (about 20-40 minutes).
(Ours made 8 dinner rolls)

4. Mix the water, salt and bicarb in a stainless steel pan and bring to the boil. Take it off the heat.


5. Take the risen bread rolls, and using a slotted spoon, dip them one by one in the baking soda, drain well and set back on the paper. (We brushed them with the mixture, as it's much easier than dipping.)


6. Cut slits in the bread rolls with a sharp knife and sprinkle with extra coarse salt.


7. Bake for 20-25 minutes in the middle of a preheated 400 degree oven.


No comments: