I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Meatball Kebabs

This comes from my college best friend, Peggy. She's also a newlywed, and enjoys cooking easy and relatively healthy meals. Apparently it's a WW recipe, though I'm not sure of the source. I got 15 meatballs out of this recipe, which was enough for 2 dinners and Justin's leftover lunch. They're super easy and fast to make -- we were seeing Jim Gaffigan tonight and had to eat quickly, so this was a nice alternative to stopping for fast food before the show.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup low-fat milk
  • 1 pound raw lean ground beef
  • 3/4 ounce romano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 medium garlic clove, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • 2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 medium red pepper (or whatever color you'd like) cut into 16 chunks
  • 1 medium onion cut into 16 1-inch pieces
Directions

1. Soak eight 10-inch skewers in water to prevent them from burning on grill (or use metal ones like I did!).

2. In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and milk; set aside 5 minutes. Heat grill. (I broiled them as I don't have access to a grill.)


3. In food processor, combine beef, cheese, egg white, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper. Strain bread crumbs and squeeze lightly to extract excess milk. Add to beef mixture and process just until blended.


4. With moistened hands, shape mixture into 16 meatballs, about 2 inches in diameter. (I used a cookie scoop for this part -- they were all perfectly uniform.) Alternately thread 4 chunks of red pepper, 4 chunks of onion and 4 meatballs onto skewers, beginning with pepper.


5. On lightly oiled grill (or broiling rack covered in foil), cook kebabs for 8 - 10 minutes, rotating about every 2 minutes to cook evenly. Meatballs should be just cooked through, be careful not to overcook.


We served these yummy kebabs with a side of blanched broccoli, drizled with a butter/old bay/garlic powder mixture. They worked well in the oven on broil, but I think I made my meatballs too big because they were really hard to turn. Still tasted damn good though!

No comments: