I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, August 20, 2007

Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers

Recently we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant in Old Town, San Diego, when I tried Chiles Poblano for the first time. I was looking for a stuffed recipe that would be similar in taste, simple to make, and completely different from the stuffed peppers Justin is used to. These were VERY tastey. Spicy, but not overly so, and full of flavor from the salsa and beans.

Ingredients
  • 2 large green peppers (We used red)
  • 1/2 jar of salsa (We used fresh salsa -- tastes much better than jarred)
  • 1/2 pack of taco seasoning (We used Cajun seasoning, as that's all I had)
  • 1 8oz can of kidney beans, drained
  • shredded Mexican blend, or Taco blend, cheese
  • 3/4 pound of ground beef
  • 1/4 onion, finely chopped
Directions

1. Cut peppers in half horizontally, removing stem and seeds.

2.
Brown hamburger, drain fat. Add beans, salsa and taco seasoning and bring to a boil.

3. Stuff peppers with mixture and place in Pyrex dish. Cook at 350 for 20 minutes, until
heated through. Top with cheese and place back in oven for 4-5 minutes.

We served this with a side of Rice-a-Roni's Mexican rice.



I stole this recipe from someone on The Nest, but don't know who. If this is yours, please let me know!


No comments: