- 1 can chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 large onion, chopped roughly
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- Ground pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup milk
1. In large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a low boil. Add fresh broccoli and cook for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet on medium high. Melt butter, then add onions. Cook approximately 5-8 minutes until brown and tender.
2. Add flour to onions and mix until thick, then add milk and continue stirring. Pour onion mixture into the pot with the broccoli and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
3. Add 1/2 of the cubed cheese to pot and stir to melt thoroughly over medium-low heat. Be careful not to boil the soup, or the cheese will separate. Add remaining cheese and stir to melt. Mix in ground pepper and garlic powder. If the soup is too thick, slowly stir in about 1/8 cup of milk until you reach the desired consistency.