I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Easy Italian Stew

Another Kraft recipe. This is definitely a hearty and warming dish for those cold or dreary nights. It's full of flavor and would work well with some red wine and crusty bread. This makes about 5 servings, depending on how hungry you are.

Ingredients

  • 2 T Italian Dressing
  • 1 lb Italian Sausage
  • 2 cans chicken broth (I only had 1, and it was plenty. 2 would've been too runny)
  • onions, peppers, or other stir-fry vegetables (I used peppers, onion and snap peas)
  • 1 can cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 cup macaroni, uncooked
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese (I only had Asiago and it complemented the dish quite nicely)
Directions

1. Heat dressing in large saucepan on medium heat. Add sausage; cook 8-10 min or until cooked through, stirring occasionally to break sausage into small pieces.

2. Add broth, stir-fry vegetables, beans and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 8-10 min or until macaroni is tender, stirring occasionally.


3. Ladle into 8 serving bowls and top with cheese.

No comments: