I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Fettucini with Spinach Sauce

I had a bunch of leftover fresh spinach from dinner the other night and wanted to find a good pasta recipe to use it up in. This recipe comes from the same Weight Watchers cookbook, "Cook it Quick." I love how simple and fast these recipes are, and most use regular ingredients that I already have in the kitchen.

This dish is saucy and cheesy and just really hearty. Took about 20 minutes to prepare, so on a late work night like yesterday, it's a great dish to prepare. This recipe uses ricotta cheese, which is a great alternative to high fat heavy cream. You really can't taste the difference and it's much better for you.


Ingredients
  • 6 ounces fettucine
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 3 shallots, chopped (I used 1/8 white onion instead of shallots)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes (I used the Italian spiced ones for added flavor. I ended u putting the whole 15 ounce can in, as we like saucy-ness! Drain the tomatoes though to avoid a runny sauce)
  • 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, pureed
  • 1/4 tsp ground pepper
Directions

1. Cook the fettuccine according to package directions. Drain, and keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a nonstick saucepan, then add shallots. Saute until softened, then add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in the spinach and tomatoes and cook until spinach wilts.


3. Add ricotta to sauce and mix thoroughly. Add fettuccine to spinach and cheese mixture and toss to evenly coat. If sauce is too thick, add 1-2 Tbsp hot water and stir. Sprinkle with pepper and serve.



No comments: