I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Pan fried steak & onions

Super easy, but extra tasty way to make steak and onions. I like my steak on the side of rare, to medium rare, which is about 130 degrees. Flat iron steak gets tough and rubbery when overcooked, so the use of a meat thermometer may be your best bet.

The onions taste just like onion soup, but are much easier to prepare. The picture really doesn't do them justice. They come out of the oven smelling divine, with bubbling cheese and looking totally scrumptious.

Steak
Ingredients
  • 1 lb flat iron steak
  • 1 tsp old bay seasoning
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Directions
1. Combine Old Bay, paprika, salt and garlic powder. Rub both sides of steak with seasoning. 2. Heat large skillet over medium high heat with 1 tbsp oil. Fry steaks 2 min on each side, then reduce temperature and cook to 130 degrees (about 4-6 more minutes).

Onions
Ingredients
  • 2 large yellow onions
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 2/3 cup beef broth
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • about 1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
Directions

1. Heat oven to 400. Spray 8x8 glass dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut onions in half horizontally and place in dish. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes.

2. Remove pan from oven. Pour beef broth over onions and drizzle each slice with soy sauce. Return to oven for 60 minutes, basting every 15 minutes.
3. Top with gruyere cheese and bake another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.

No comments: