I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, October 22, 2007

Spicy Chicken with Black Eyed Pea & Rice

This is an old Cooking Light recipe that I cut out and never made until last night. So so so tasty! And easy. I love searing chicken on the stove and then oven-baking it because it keeps in all the juices.

Ingredients
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1.5 tsp Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 12 tsp salt
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1.5 cups cooked rice
  • 1 tsp hot sauce (such as Tabasco or Franks Red Hot)
  • 1 15.8 oz can black-eyed peas, drained
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine paprika, seasoning, sugar and 1/4 tsp salt; sprinkle over chicken on both sides. Add chicken to pan, cooking 2 minutes on each side. Wrap handle of pan with foil and place in oven. Bake at 350 for 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked.

3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute 3 minutes. Stir in rice, 1/4 tsp salt, hot pepper sauce, and black-eyed peas; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Spoon about 3/4 cup rice mixture into bowl and top with sliced chicken breast. Sprinkle each serving with green onions.

No comments: