I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Easy Cheesy Focaccia

Though I spent a few years baking bread commercially, I still prefer to make dough with the bread machine instead of by hand. I find it more consistent and the dough proofs more evenly when compared to proofing on the counter. If you don't have a bread machine, mix the dough in your stand mixer, or by hand, until it comes together (about 8 minutes). Proof until the dough is doubled in size, punch down, and proof again. Then move to your baking pan and continue to follow the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup warm water (not hot)
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp chopped garlic
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1.5 tsp active dry yeast
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese mix (I use Asiago, Provolone and Parmesan)
Directions

1. Place water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, garlic, oregano, basil, garlic powder, bread flour and yeast in bread machine pan. Select Dough cycle.

2. Remove dough from bread machine and place into a greased 9x13 pan. Press dough into pan with fingertips. Drizzle with olive oil and top with cheese.


3. Cover dough with plastic wrap. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove plastic wrap when oven is preheated and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes.

No comments: