I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Brownie Ice Cream

So earlier in the week I had a slight mishap with some brownies and ended up having about 4 or 5 rejects that I couldn't sell. Rather than eat them or give them away, I figured I'd make a batch of ice cream and toss in the chunks of brownie. I used Alton Brown's ice cream recipe along with my Kitchenaid ice cream attachment. I swear by AB's recipe. It is THE BEST. This recipe makes about 1 quart.

Ingredients
  • 9 ounces sugar
  • 8 egg yolks
  • 3 cups 1/2 & 1/2
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 cups brownie bits
Directions

1. Over medium heat, bring the cream and 1/2 & 1/2 just barely to a simmer.

2. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks until they're light and creamy. Slowly whisk in the sugar until light and THICK. You want the mixture to fall from the whisk slowly and sort of clump when it reaches the bowl. If it's runny, keep whisking. It takes a while to get it to the right consistency.

3. Slowly add 1/3 of the cream into the eggs while whisking constantly. Once that's mixed and the eggs are tempered, slowly add the remaining cream into the eggs and whisk to combine.

4. Return cream/egg mixture to the heat, and stir on medium low until it reaches 170 degrees. Move mixture to a metal bowl and cool in sink filled with cold water. Once mixture reaches room temperature, refrigerate to 40 degrees.

5. Add mixture to ice cream machine and follow manufacturer's directions. When ice cream is finished mixing, add in the brownie pieces and enjoy!



No comments: