I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Old Bay Wings & Greek Feta Pilaf

For some reason, we've been on a chicken wings kick lately. No idea why, but in the past week, we've tried 3 or 4 different recipes. Tonight, we did Old Bay Wings, but instead of doing them in the oven, I used the slow cooker. MUCH better. Seriously, these were so tender and juicy and delicious. My oven baked ones were good, but these were a lot tastier. I also made a Greek Feta Pilaf (from WW Simply Delicious) to go with them. Not sure what's so Greek about it, other than the Feta cheese and a dash of dill. Either way, it was damn tasty and a really simple meal to prepare.

Ingredients
  • Olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 small red/yellow/orange pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup long-grain white rice
  • 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped dill
  • 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
Directions

1. Heat the oil in a nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute until softened, 305 minutes. Add the rice and saute until coated with oil, about 1 minute. Add the broth, salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.

2. Fluff with a fork and stir in the cheese, dill and lemon zest; cover and let stand 5 minutes.

No comments: