I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Chicken Fajita Salad

This is a WW recipe from "Take-Out Tonight." What caught my eye was all the fresh veggies, plus chicken, and a sassy new vinaigrette that I hadn't tried before. This dish really could not be easier to make. It's packed full of flavor -- tangy, sweet, and spicy all in the same bite. One of the best salads I've made in a while, for sure.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup jarred salsa
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
  • 1 Tablespoon Cajun seasoning
  • 4 cups mixed salad greens (I used 1 bag of salad)
  • 1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 avocado, peeled and chopped
  • a few slices of red onion
Directions

1. To make the vinaigrette, puree the salsa, onion, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, mustard, and salt in a food processor or blender. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.

2. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with Cajun seasoning. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, then the chicken and cook until brown, about 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Then slice into 1/2 inch thick strips.


3. Place the salad greens and bell peppers in a large bowl. Top with chicken strips, tomato and avocado. Pour vinaigrette over everything and toss to combine.



No comments: