I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Old Bay Catfish & Couscous

Tonight's dinner was just an "on-the-fly" thing. We shopped at a new grocery store today and they had some wicked cheap bags of frozen catfish, so we picked one up. All our menus this week are trying to use up what we have in the cabinets. I did my best to use up canned goods, frozen foods, etc to help keep us on budget.

I had some couscous in the cabinet, and some fresh cilantro from last week, so I threw it together in a pot with some chicken stock and salt. The end result was quite tasty! As was the catfish, I must say. It comes out much flakier when cooked on the Foreman grill, versus pan frying in a cast iron skillet. The grill eliminates the need to flip the fish, which only causes it to break and turn to fish mush.

Ingredients
  • catfish filets (about 4oz per person)
  • Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup couscous
Directions

1. Sprinkle catfish filets with Old Bay seasoning on both sides. Heat up your George Foreman grill and spray it liberally with nonstick spray.

2. Meanwhile, add chicken stock and cilantro to a pot with a tight fitting lid. Heat on high until boiling. Remove from heat and stir in couscous. Let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

3. While couscous is cooking, place catfish on the grill for 5 minutes, or until the fish is flakey and tender. Use two forks to remove fish from grill so it doesn't break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couscous is perhaps the greatest invention ever. Yum.