I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, April 7, 2008

Cajun Catfish Salad

This is probably one of the easier dishes we've made. While shopping at our new grocery store, I came across a ton of bagged ceaser salad marked down to only $1.24. The only reason is because it expired on 4/6, Sunday. So I bought a bag, and we had it tonight. Usually I grill some chicken to add to those bagged salad mixes, but this time I used catfish. A nice change! And pretty cheap.

Bagged Salad kit - $1.24
2 catfish fillets - $1.00
Total Cost - Approximately $2.24

Ingredients
  • 1 bag of Ceaser salad mix
  • 2 catfish fillets
  • 4 Tablespoons Cajun breading (we like the fish fry that comes in a yellow package)
Directions

1. Coat the catfish in Cajun breading. Fry in a non-stick skillet for about 3 minutes on a side, until fish is flakey. 2. Add salad fixin's to a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Place salad in bowl and top each bowl with a sliced catfish fillet. That's it...pretty easy, huh?!

No comments: