I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cornish Game Hen & Potatoes

While shopping at our new "budget grocery store" a.k.a. the sketchiest place on Earth, I came across some cornish game hens, on sale 2 for $5.00. I had some potatoes left from our giant 10 pound bag (only cost 97 cents for the whole bag!) and broccoli was on sale 3 pounds for $1.00. So all in all, I knew I could create a pretty tasty meal, for about $6.00 total. I didn't have a recipe for the hens, and I've never made a whole roasted chicken, so I sorta winged it. They actually came out really tender and juicy and quite flavorful! And as always, my famous potatoes were deliciously spicy and perfect.

Ingredients
  • 2 Cornish Game Hens
  • olive oil
  • garlic powder
  • Lawry salt
  • Paprika
  • 2 teaspoons Rosemary
  • 2/3 cup chicken stock
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon jarred garlic (yes, I use cheater garlic!)
  • 2 baking potatoes, cut in large chunks
  • 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 small head of broccoli
  • Old Bay seasoning (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 Tablespoon paprika
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place defrosted hens on a broiling pan lined with foil. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle all sides liberally with garlic powder, Lawry salt and paprika. Cover loosely with tin foil and bake approximately 25 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, combine chicken stock, rosemary, 1 Tablespoon olive oil and garlic in separate bowl. Set aside. Baste hens with chicken stock mixture after 25 minutes. Recover with foil, and return to oven an additional 10 minutes. Baste again, remove foil, and bake until hens reach 165 degrees, approximately 15 minutes more.


3. While hens are cooking, heat large skillet over medium high heat. Combine Old Bay, garlic powder and paprika in large plastic bag. Coat potato slices with spice mixture. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to pan. Fry potatoes over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, approximately 4 minutes, until brown on all sides. Turn to medium low, cover, and cook an additional 4-6 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add onion to pan, cover, and cook 4-6 minutes until onions are caramelized. When hens are just about finished, turn heat off on the potato pan and add the broccoli. Cover, and turn off heat, leaving pan on the burner to continue cooking.


4. Slice hens in half and serve.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

We would like to feature your cornish hen recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/