I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Pineapple Fried Rice & Chicken

There's a lovely food blogger, by the name of Joelen, who has the most amazing blog ever. Seriously, her culinary adventures sound fantastic, and I am highly envious. Tonight, I decided to make her pineapple fried rice, and add in some chicken as well. The original recipe is from her blog, but I will repost it here for convenience. The rice was quick and easy to make, and very tasty.

The only change I made was to add some chicken to it. And I didn't have green onions, so I omitted them (though I think they'd make the dish that much more delicious). The end result was a sweet and salty fried rice, and a sort of glazed chicken addition (my chicken addition is below the recipe).


Ingredients
  • 2 cups cold prepared rice
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
  • 2-3 stalks green onion, sliced
  • 1 small can pineapple tibits, drained
  • 1-2 tablespoons lite sodium soy sauce
  • salt & pepper to taste
Directions
  1. In a wok or skillet, heat oil.When hot, add diced white onion, garlic, pineapple and half of the sliced green onion.Toss and heat until white onions are softened.
  2. Add cold rice, crumbling it with your hands.
  3. Fold rice into the onion/pineapple mixture.
  4. Allow rice to heat & crisp up.
  5. Add remaining green onion and toss.
  6. Drizzle in the soy sauce for additional flavor and color.
  7. Add salt & pepper to taste.
  8. Fold or toss rice to fully combine.
  9. Serve when heated through.
My chicken addition is as follows.
Ingredients
  • 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 T brown sugar
  • 2T honey
  • 2T sesame oil
Directions
  1. Cut chicken into chunks. Mix soy sauce, sugar, honey and oil in a small container. Toss chicken in mixture and marinate about 2-4 hours.
  2. In a wok, heat 1-2 tablespoons oil. Stir-fry chicken until caramel colored and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Continue with fried rice recipe above, in same wok, and add chicken in at the end, just to heat through.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Glad you enjoyed it and I agree... adding chicken to it or serving it with chicken would be a great way to round out the meal!