I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Guinness & Onion burgers

This recipe came from The Little Black Book of BBQ. Simple and delicious. We used Guinness, though I think any dark beer would work well. Served on a fresh ciabatta roll topped with onions and mustard, a side of sliced sweet potatoes that we grilled with some olive oil and salt, and some kettle chips, made for a perfect Sunday dinner.

Ingredients
  • 2 beef burgers
  • 3 ounces Guinness (or any dark beer)
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • dash of salt
Directions
  1. Dice red onion and place in food processor with Guinness, olive oil and salt. Puree until smooth and liquidy.
  2. Liberally baste burgers on one side with marinade. I use a fork to poke holes in the burger so the beer mixture seeps in a bit more.
  3. Place burgers on grill, marinade side up. Grill 2-3 minutes, flip, and brush other side liberally with remaining marinade. Discard any leftover marinade. Continue cooking until burgers are done to your liking.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - nothing beats a thick juicy burger!