I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli

Round 3 of fresh pasta making.

Tonight we made Emeril's
Roasted Butternut Squash Ravioli, with sage brown butter sauce. And they were delicious! Though not easy. It's definitely a lot of work to get these together, but the end result is worth it. The filling is creamy and velvety, and pairs really well with the nuttiness of the sage brown butter sauce. I added just a dash of cinnamon to the filling, which isn't in the original recipe, but I'd highly recommend doing so. The nutmeg is a nice touch, but the cinnamon just makes it superb.

Ingredients
  • 9 tablespoons butter (I made the sauce with 4 T butter, and that was plenty)
  • 3 tablespoons minced shallots (I used onion instead)
  • 1 cup roasted butternut squash puree (cut squash in half, scoop out inside, and place cut face down in pyrex baking dish, filled with 1/4 inch of water. Bake at 375 for 45min until tender)
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground white pepper
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream (I used Ricotta instead, as I didn't have cream on hand)
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus 2 ounces
  • Pinch nutmeg and cinnamon
  • 1 recipe pasta dough, rolled out into wide ribbons
  • 12 fresh sage leaves
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
Directions
  1. In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallots and saute for 1 minute. Add the squash puree and cook until the mixture is slightly dry, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cream and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons cheese and nutmeg, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Cool completely.
  2. Cut the pasta ribbons into 3-inch squares. Place 2 teaspoons of the filling in the center of each pasta square. Bring 1 corner of the square to the other, forming a triangle and seal the pasta completely. Add the pasta to pot of boiling salted water. Cook until al dente, about 2 to 3 minutes or until the pasta floats and is pale in color.
  3. Remove the pasta from the water and drain well. Season the pasta with salt and pepper.
  4. In a large saute pan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter. Add the sage to the butter and continue to cook until the butter starts to brown. Remove from the heat.
  5. Place some of the pasta in the center of each serving plate. Spoon the butter sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle the 2 ounces of cheese over each plate and garnish with parsley.

No comments: