So of course, I decided a spinach lasagna would be quite tasty on this rainy night, but we didn't have lasagna noodles. So I sort of improvised and made a non-layered lasagna with Rigatoni, tomatoes, garlic, onion, spinach, ricotta and mozzarella. The end result was awesome! Very cheesy, gooey, and warming on a cold rainy night.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 14.5oz can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound Rigatoni, or any pasta shapes really
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1.5 cups shredded fresh mozzarella (buy a big hunk of mozzarella and shred it, instead of the pre-shredded mozzarella. It'll taste much better!)
- 1/2 cup Ricotta
- Heat saute pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and cook additional 2 minutes. Add spinach in two batches, waiting until the first batch is mostly wilted before adding the remaining spinach. Continue cooking until beef is thoroughly cooked.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook Rigatoni 10 minutes, or until desired doneness.
- Drain pasta. Add beef/tomato mixture and stir. Add Ricotta cheese, stir. Add parmesan and 1/2 of the mozzarella. Stir until evenly mixed. Pour into baking dish, and top with remaining mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake on 375 for 30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.