I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chocolate Sauerkraut Cookies



I know, I know. They sound dreadful. But really, they're quite delicious! Very chocolatey, and the sauerkraut gives just a hint of bitterness. They end up being a very cake-like cookie. Dense, but still soft, if that makes sense. The flavor of the sauerkraut isn't overly pronounced, so you could probably frost these with just about anything, or eat them plain like we've been doing for the past half hour. I posted a mocha icing recipe below, which I think would be delicious, but I just realized I don't have chocolate chips, so I can't try it tonight. Bummer!

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup softened butter
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup sauerkraut (drained, and rinsed)
Directions
  1. Rinse the sauerkraut with cold water in a strainer. Make sure it's rinsed well! Let it sit in the strainer while you prepare the remainder of the ingredients.
  2. Beat the butter & sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until creamy and well incorporated.
  3. Mix in the vanilla extract, cocoa powder and baking soda. Beat on low speed until well mixed.
  4. Add half the buttermilk and half the flour, beating until smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and flour, beat until smooth.
  5. Pour the sauerkraut onto a cutting board. Spread out and blot dry with a paper towel (it will take several paper towels before kraut is dry). Then chop into small pieces. It's very important that the kraut is chopped finely.
  6. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons onto parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 1 minute, then transfer to a wire rack. When cool, frost with mocha icing.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies




Mocha Icing

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup softened butter
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2-3 tsp strongly brewed coffee
  • 1.5 cups powdered sugar
Directions
  1. Melt the chocolate chips with 2 tsp of the coffee in a microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute. Stir, and if the mixture is still lumpy, remove the spoon and microwave for an additional 20 seconds. If the mixture is still lumpy, microwave for an additional 20 seconds. When you are able to stir themixture smooth, set the bowl on the counter to cool to room temperature.
  2. Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the softened butter until smooth.
  3. Whisk in the powdered sugar and stir until the mixture is of spreading consistency. If it's too thick, add the remaining 1 tsp of coffee. If it's too thin, stir in a little more powdered sugar.

3 comments:

Trish said...

Well, now I must try these. I've made chocolate sauerkraut cake but never thot of cookies. Good luck on your business. Looks like you have a ton of great recipes going here and you are very talented indeed!

AjJii said...

I went to place an order for your brownies, and the domain is pending deletion. What gives?

AjJii said...

Tried to order brownies, you site is pending deletion, what gives?