I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Fish with Black Bean Sauce

This is definitely one of our favorite dishes from the local Chinese take-out restaurant, so Justin and I decided we'd try to make our own version. I found a lot of recipes online, and finally decided on one that sounded pretty good (recipe found here), and that incorporated ingredients that we had on hand. I made a few changes, nothing crazy, and it turned out perfectly. The sauce is just a bit sweet, but doesn't overpower the fish, and the onions end up with a nice caramel flavor.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb mahi-mahi fish fillet (cut into pieces and marinate with 1/2 tablespoon corn starch)
  • 2 tablespoon Lee Kam Kee black bean sauce
  • 1 small onion (quartered)
  • 6 dried chilies (deseeded) I didn't have any chilies, so I used Sriracha sauce instead.
  • 1 small green bell pepper (cut into small pieces)
  • 2 stalk scallions (cut into 1.5 inch length)
  • 5 slices fresh ginger, I used 1 tsp ginger paste
  • 1/8 teaspoon fish sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 tablespoon corn starch (mix with 3 tablespoons water)
  • I also added 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained
Directions
  1. Heat up the wok and add in some cooking oil.
  2. Add sliced ginger, onions, bell peppers, dried red chilies and stir fry them until aromatic.
  3. Add in the fish and do a quick stir.
  4. Add the black bean sauce, black beans, fish sauce, sugar, and sesame oil and stir fry until the fish is cooked.
  5. Add in the corn starch mix to thicken the sauce.
  6. Toss in the chopped scallion and do a quick stir, dish up and serve hot.

No comments: