I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

For my niece's first birthday, I made a bunch of cupcakes baked in ice cream cones. When they were done, they really did look like soft-serve cones. They were a huge hit! I did half the cones with chocolate cake, and half with Funfetti. The chocolate ones were frosted with either peanut butter frosting or chocolate ganache, while the Funfetti ones got vanilla buttercream or strawberry buttercream. I also used fondant to make cutouts that spelled out "Happy Birthday Jena!" The rest of the cakes just got sprinkles. And off to the side is Bubbles the obese monkey, compliments of my friend Alanna. So talented!

Ingredients
  • cake batter of your choice (enough batter for a standard 9" cake will make approximately 24 cones)
  • 24 flat-bottom ice cream cones
Directions
  1. Prepare your cake batter of choice. Use a cookie scoop to fill the cones to the first ridge (about 1" from the top). Place the cones in a mini cupcake pan and bake according to your cake instructions. Mine baked at 350 for about 20 minutes. When fully baked, remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
  2. Frost the cupcakes using a large star tip, making sure to go all the way to the edge of the cone. This way, they look like they're really ice cream cones! Decorate, and enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These were a big hit....you are so talented!!!

The Rambler said...

I want to do these for Molly's birthday party, thanks Jamie for posting it!!!
I'm still a little iffy with the chocolate and sauerkraut thing but if you say they're delicious...well.... ;-)