I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Scallops & Angel Hair Pasta

This recipe came from a friend of mine, who originally made it with langoustines. Since I am allergic, I substituted bay scallops, and it turned out just fine. You could also substitute shrimp for the langoustines. The overall dish is very light, and each ingredient can really be tasted on its own. The onions get nice and sweet, the pancetta has a fabulous crisp to it, and the white wine brings it all together.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb angel hair pasta
  • salt
  • 3oz pancetta, chopped (you could also substitute bacon)
  • 1/2 medium red onion, peeled, cut in half, and thinly sliced
  • 1T minced garlic (I used about 6 cloves, but we are huge garlic lovers)
  • 2 ears of corn, kernels removed from cob
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 12oz langoustines, scallops, shrimp, etc.
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 small tomato, chopped
  • freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
Directions
  1. In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta until just al dente. Drain and return to the pot. Cover to keep warm.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
  3. To the oil in the pan, add the onions and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds, then add the corn and cook for 30 seconds. Add the wine, 3/4tsp salt, red pepper and langoustines and cook, stirring, until shellfish are full cooked (my scallops took about 3-4 minutes). Add the green onion and chopped tomato, stirring to combine. Serve over angel hair pasta.

No comments: