I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Thai Pork Springrolls w/Peanut Sauce

This was sort of done on a whim, in order to use up a pork loin that had been in the fridge for a few days. Justin really wanted to make spring rolls, and we had some wrappers leftover from our last attempt a few months ago, so we gave it another shot. I also made a light peanut sauce to drizzle over them. They're not the prettiest things, but they were delicious!

Ingredients
  • 1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • pepper
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
  • 1/2 head green cabbage, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 onion, sliced thinly
  • 2 carrots, julienned
  • fresh basil, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter
  • sesame oil
  • soy sauce
  • hot sauce
  • 6 spring roll wrappers (the kind you soak in hot water before using)
Directions
  1. Heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil in large saute pan. Add pork and ginger, stir-frying just until cooked. Be careful not to overcook! Remove from pan and set aside.
  2. In same pan, add cabbage and onions, cooking approximately 3 minutes until slightly wilted but still crunchy. You may need to add a smidge more oil to your pan to keep the cabbage from burning. Once cooked, remove cabbage/onion mixture and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, combine peanut butter, sesame oil and soy sauce until a thin sauce is formed. I used approximately 2T peanut butter, 2 T sesame oil and 1T soy sauce, but I kept adding a little of this and a little of that, so those amounts may not be entirely correct. Just keep adding those 3 ingredients until you have a sauce that's thin, but not watery. And add a few drops of hot sauce to kick it up a notch!
  4. Prepare springroll wrappers according to package directions. Mine said to soak in hot water for 15 seconds, then place on a damp cloth and blot dry. Then I added the cabbage/onion mixture, pork, drizzle of sauce, raw carrots, and basil. Wrap each roll like a burrito and slice in half before serving.

No comments: