I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tilapia with Wine & Tomatoes

Tilapia was on sale at Harris Teeter this week: $3.99/lb. Normally it's about $6.99/lb so this was definitely a bargain. We also got a homegrown tomato this week so I wanted to find a recipe that would combine both ingredients. The original recipe is from Allrecipes, though I did make a few slight changes. It's quick and simple to make, and when paired with a bag of ready-to-steam veggies (which were also on sale this week, buy one get one free), you've got an effortless dinner that won't break the bank.

And Peggy, note that this recipe can be made on
the grill! Though I opted not to grill in the rain and just made it in the oven instead.

Ingredients
  • 2 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1-1/2 cloves garlic, pressed (I used 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped)
  • 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped (I doubled this and used 4)
  • 1/2 large tomato, chopped
  • 1/3 cup white wine
  • 1/4 finely chopped onion (this was my addition and is not in the original recipe)
Directions
  1. Preheat a grill for medium-high heat. (I preheated the oven to 425 instead of using a grill)
  2. Place the tilapia fillets side by side on a large piece of aluminum foil. Season each one with salt and pepper. Place one tablespoon of butter on top of each piece of fish, and sprinkle garlic, basil and tomato. Pour the wine over everything. Fold foil up around fish, and seal into a packet. (I put all ingredients in a glass baking dish, covered with foil.) Place packet on a cookie sheet for ease in transportation to and from the grill.
  3. Place foil packet on the preheated grill, and cook for 15 minutes (I cooked it in the oven for 20 minutes), or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Open the packet carefully so as not to get burned from the steam, and serve.

No comments: