I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Pancakes!

Happy Anniversary to us! To celebrate our 3rd anniversary, we bought ourselves an electric griddle (in addition to a new kitchen sink and faucet, but those aren't as fun as the griddle!). So tonight we finally got a chance to try it out, and figured pancakes were the way to go. We made a pretty basic sour cream pancake batter and cooked them up for dinner. So easy and so tasty. The recipe came from The Big Book of Breakfast, by Maryana Vollstedt.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 T brown sugar
  • 1 T baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 T sour cream
  • 1 T melted butter
  • Syrup of your choice
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, brown sugar and baking powder. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, milk and sour cream. Whisk in dry ingredients. Add melted butter and whisk until just blended.
  2. Preheat a nonstick griddle to medium high heat (we used a temp in between 2 and 3 on our griddle, with 3 being the hottest setting). Lightly spray or brush with vegetable oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle for each pancake. Cook until bubbles form on the surface, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until other side is golden, about 1 minute longer.
Makes 10 - 12 pancakes, or 3 servings


No comments: