I am a newlywed on a budget, just trying to make healthy and inexpensive meals for my husband and I to enjoy. He eats a lot, so cost is a big factor. Though I work 3 jobs, I manage to find time 6 nights a week to cook a full dinner for us both. I am constantly looking for new recipes that are moderately healthy, taste great, and won't break the bank.

On the side, I also own a brownie business called Gersheybars. My passion and love for cooking started when I was just a small child, baking with my mom and grandmother. The brownie recipe has been passed down through 5 generations and I am thrilled to finally have an outlet to share them with everybody else. Friends and family have helped spread the word and made my business as successful as it is today.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Operation Lasagna

Lasagna is one of those meals that must be planned. Shopped for. Prepped in advance. Spur of the moment dish, it is not. I've been craving some Lorna's Lasagna from San Diego for quite a while now, but who knows the next time I'll get out West to actually get some. So I decided to suck it up and make one myself. It's an easy dish to prepare, just time consuming. But the end result was gooey and cheesy and about the most perfect meal for 2 lactose intolerant people!

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 20 oz can whole tomatoes, drained
  • 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • crushed red pepper/cayenne to taste
  • 1/2 lb lasagna noodles
  • 1 lb ricotta
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan
  • 1/2 lb sliced mozzarella (I doubled this!)
Directions
  1. Brown the beef and garlic in a saute pan until cooked. Add whole tomatoes, tomato sauce and spices to beef; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions.
  3. In a 9x13 baking dish, spread 1 cup beef mixture along the bottom. Top with noodles, 1/2 the ricotta, 1/2 the parm, and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat layers again. Top with remaining beef and mozzarella.
  4. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes and let sit 15 minutes before serving.

No comments: